E3 2012

Home Forums Contributors Corner E3 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Joe Roche
    Participant

Thoughts about E3

Joe Roche
    Participant

So I’m not at E3, but in the possible interest of writing my own E3 thoughts as a blog/article piece I thought I’d make a spot to just shoot the shit about what we’re seeing from the conference.

Plus I wanted to create a topic to say that “Watch Dogs” looks amazing. I mean visually, it looks stunning. Of everything that I’ve seen thus far, it’s the most interesting of the bunch. I think Microsoft is doing some awesome things with their hardware which will undoubtedly extend the life of the 360, but I can understand why games people weren’t thrilled with their presentation.

Also am I crazy or have we not heard anything about GTA5 yet?

Drew Robbins
    Participant

I thought that a lot of the game’s looked good but the lack of surprises was a little disappointing. Watch Dogs was about as big as the surprises get, and I’m a sucker for anything that David Cage does so Beyond was also a fun little shock.

As for what we already knew about, I really liked Pikmin 3, Paper Mario, The Last of Us, Sony Smash Bros., Tomb Raider, and, in what was its own little surprise, Halo 4.

The first day left me pretty upset with Resident Evil 6 which just looked like any other action game to me; God of War Ascension wasn’t much better. Those were my major disappointments.

Oh, and the fact that Nintendo closed their show with NintendoLand. What the heck was that?

I suppose that the GTA V in 2012 hype was overblown unless Rockstar pulls some sort of major surprise. We’ll have to wait and see. I thought for sure it would show up at Microsoft.

Sean Garmer
    Participant

Rockstar is not at E3 so don´t expect them to announce anything, maybe at another convention or on their own terms with G4 or something.

Ubisoft still won the press conferences in my opinion, Nintendo did good to open with Mario and Pikmin 3 stuff, Scribblenauts was a nice surprise too. but waited too long to close with their best slate of games that come from Ubisoft, and then we get Nintendo Land to end the show? WTF? I am hoping the 3DS show makes us excited. The Wii U looks interesting to me. I´d be interested in buying it eventually once they announce more games for it.

Sony has some great games (Beyond, Last of Us) but good lord KILL THE PS MOVE ALREADY it looked so silly during that press conference and is an obvious rip off of the Wii. At least the Kinect is hands free and can be used in the Tech World.

I am really hoping that Avengers game is not just shovelware, Zombi U and Rayman Legends looked awesome. Watch Dogs stole the Freaking Show for me.

EA really announced a whole lot of nothing other than neat Kinect features and Deadspace 3 co-op.

An Xbox 360 is the only system I own and none of the new IP´s really made me excited (except maybe LocoCycle.) New Halo 4 and Gears is great, but geez. I am all for new apps and that Xbox Music thing is pretty cool. I love Harmonix and that´s great for them to get out Dance Central 3, but just I don´t know. Would have really loved to see some new games I guess.

Sean Garmer
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention, so is there is a reason to buy the Vita yet? All I saw was PS One classics and a bunch spinoff titles. Really you can´t show off new games for your brand new handheld at the press conferences? At least Nintendo had some gumption to show that LEGO City game, aside from the Mario stuff.

Drew Robbins
    Participant

The Vita is in the awkward position that the 3DS was (and still kind of is) last year. I’d argue that at the very least the Vita has a few games worth owning at this point (Uncharted, MLB) and that in the near future it will see some great PS3 titles as well, but certainly none of that denotes a purchase. I’m sure that the announcements will come in time; it just seems that Sony’s focus was elsewhere this year and the shock value of that probably makes the situation seem more dire than it really is.

For the record, Lego City looked like a riot.

Joe Roche
    Participant

Nintendo’s press conference left me baffled, like it felt like they were building to something — only nothing happened.

I haven’t seen anything spectacular, just a slate of solid Triple A titles coming up in the next year that I’ll check out, but Microsoft closing their show with Black Ops 2 was a bit “meh” and while I thought God of War: Ascension looked awesome, it didn’t look like anything to stop traffic.

Ubisoft has basically been the winner of the conference to me — Assassins Creed III with the boat battle looked pretty sweet, and the Vita integration will make both versions of AC3 pretty interesting.

I also feel let down that there was no GTA5

Sean Garmer
    Participant

I would have to agree with you on pretty much everything you said there Joe, though I really just saw the Vita tie-in to Assassin´s Creed as again “We are Sony and we love to have spin-off titles for the main series on the PS3” and still says “we don´t really tout our portable that much.” I don´t think it would have hurt at all to do what Nintendo is doing and make a separate show to showcase some of those Vita titles. This is screaming “PSP all over again” to me.

Nintendo could have just won E3 by announcing a price and date for the Wii U release and I am very surprised we got neither at the press conference. I wonder if that means the price is going to be in the 400 or 450 range. I hope not, but it just seems like this would have been the best time to announce it.

Joe Roche
    Participant

Yeah Sean I’m def. fearful that Nintendo keeping hush hush on the Wii U, even though it’s supposedly coming out in mere months, means that we’re going to see a 400 dollar price point, which is why they haven’t announced it yet.

Also I just re-watched the “The Last Of Us” trailer, am I becoming a wimp in my old age or does that game actually feel a little too visceral?

Sean Garmer
    Participant

That´s why I like Last of Us and is one of those games that really makes me wish I had a PS3. It does make you feel for the characters and especially have a younger character in the game helps with that too. Its kinda like what Telltale did with the Walking Dead game (with the main character and he is protecting the little girl) They are not family but they are all they have to each other and seeing them go through that struggle of survival makes it personable. Unlike even Left 4 Dead or the other zombie games where you know from the outset these people are just mad and are killing to get back at them. This is a different kind of survival almost.

Drew Robbins
    Participant

I don’t see how $400 would be a problem as the starting price for a new console. If memory serves me right, that was what the Xbox 360 opened at with its main model (console + HDD). Anything less would almost be too much of a bargain.

I also agree that a separate showcase for the Vita would have been a nice idea. I may not have liked much of what Nintendo did today but I did like that they decided to dedicate an entire show to one console and then another to their portable system. Considering the fact that I bought the thing at its $250 price tag, I’d like to see it highlighted and not just tossed in with what we knew was just going to be a sea of Wii U news.

Ramon Aranda
    Participant

Wasn’t super impressed with the Nintendo press conference but Ubisoft’s was pretty solid. Watch Dogs left me really excited and can’t wait to hear more about it.

Ramon Aranda
    Participant

Oh and Wonderbook was a huge FAIL…right alongside Sing.

Sean Garmer
    Participant

I had no idea why Nintendo would spend time in a press conference showing off anything music game related that was not a dance game. Singing and Band games (which makes me very sad) are dying, unless it lets you use real instruments, which obviously this was all about the tablet. So, it goes back to my original point.

Sean Garmer
    Participant

Well, I know it has probably more to do with a majority of game journalists seeing the dance games as just another fad or that they are just the casual gamer cash cow, but it seemed there was hardly any reaction for Just Dance 4 and no reaction for Dance Central 3 until Usher came out. Even then I hardly doubt everybody in the audience was happy to see Usher anyway. It made sense because Ubi makes the Just Dance series and Kinect is the only home for Dance Central, but Nintendo should have known better I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.