2K and Firaxis Games were thrilled to celebrate Civilization’s 25th anniversary by announcing that the next entry in the award-winning turn-based strategy game, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, is currently in development for PC. The upcoming title will offer players new ways to interact with the world, expand their empire across the map, advance their culture, and compete against history’s greatest leaders.
Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K, stated, “Sid Meier’s Civilization games hold a reputation for defining the 4X gaming genre for the past 25 years. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the silver anniversary of our longest-running franchise than launching the eagerly anticipated Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, which will provide the most detailed, beautiful and complete experience ever featured in a Civilization game.”
“Sid Meier’s Civilization VI builds on the firm foundation of the Civilization franchise, and we’ve added many exciting new elements,” commented Ed Beach, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The visual presentation of the game is inspired by the maps and tools of the Age of Exploration, and we’ve made several key gameplay changes such as expansive cities and active research that makes Sid Meier’s Civilization VI an entirely unique experience while remaining true to what makes the Civilization series so special.”
The upcoming title will set another milestone in the Civilization franchise by allowing cities to physically expand across the map to create new, deep strategic layers, make active research in technology and culture a key way to unlock new potential ways to play, and host a large variety of leaders that will pursue their own agendas based on their historical character traits as players race to achieve victory.
Here are some of the key features of the title, as presented on the official press release:
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain;
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures;
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations;
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units;
- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session;
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems are designed to introduce new players to the underlying concepts of Civilization so they can easily get started on a path to victory.
The title is available for pre-order on Windows PC, and is currently slated to arrive worldwide on October 21, 2016 at a suggested price of $59.99/£49.99/€59.99. In addition, gamers will also be able to pick up the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe Edition,which includes the game, 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack, and access to four post-launch DLC packs adding new maps, scenarios, leaders, and civilizations.
Are you excited for the upcoming entry?