PS4 Outsold Xbox One for the Tenth Consecutive Month
While we were expecting for Microsoft’s Xbox One to gain a bit of advantage because of the reduced price tag, it seems that Sony won the race for the tenth consecutive month. The company has announced today that PlayStation 4 is the best selling console in the month of October, 2014, leaving Xbox One furthermore behind.
“October 2014 marks the first 12 months of sales for the Xbox One and PS4; and after the first year, these consoles have had a great start as cumulative sales are currently over 70% higher than the combined first year totals of Xbox 360 and PS3,” the NPD Group’s Liam Callahan said.
“Hardware sales of eighth generation consoles represent close to 80% of dollar sales this month driving overall consoles sales to increase by 186% over October 2013.”
When it comes to games, the NPDs are a bit more balanced as follows:
- NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS (3DS)
- The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Destiny (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
- Skylanders Trap Team (Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, Mobile)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4)
This means that except for Super Smash Bros. 3DS, the rest of the nine best sold games were multi-platform, with not a single exclusive title making the list. Microsoft still has a lot of time to catch up, but at this point it seems very unlikely.