Mario Kart 8 to receive three Mercedes-Benz cars as part of update
It’s been a few weeks since it was announced that Mario Kart 8 would be receiving Mercedes-Benz DLC, but it looks like we now have a release date for it. On August 27th, Mario Kart 8 will receive a free update that will give players the ability to download three Mercedes-Benz cars: the modern Mercedes-Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s and the Silver Arrow of the 1930s. The GLA model will come with special wheel options, while players can customize all three new karts with the wheels and gliders from the game. The content comes just in time for the series’ 22nd anniversary of the launch of Super Mario Kart, which first launched in Japan on Aug. 27, 1992. The celebration doesn’t stop there, as Super Mario Kart launched earlier today for $7.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
Not only will the update give free DLC, but it will also come with a host of improvements to the initial game, which are listed below.
- Drivers now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”.
- The game will always remember the last kart options used, even when the Wii U is powered down.
- Users will be able to edit players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
- A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
- Improved stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles.
Also, Nintendo will be partnering with Mercedes-Benz to hold an online tournament, the “Mercedes Cup”, between August 27th and September 23rd. Access to the tournament will be found in the games online menu.