The DualShock 4 controller can now be used wirelessly with the PlayStation 3 following a recent update for Sony’s last generation console (4.60 firmware update). Until this moment, the DualShock 4 could only be used with the PS3 via USB.
These are great news, but there are also a few catches. The controller is registered on the PlayStation 3 as a generic controller and because of that, only basic controller inputs are compatible (rumble and motion control are not supported).
If you want to set up your DualShock 4 for you PS3, the following steps must be done:
- Go to ‘Accessory Settings’ on the PS3 system menu
- Select ‘Manage Bluetooth Devices’
- ‘Register New Device’ to begin scanning for a new device
- Press and hold both the Share Button and PS button on the DS4 until the light starts blinking
- The controller will be detected by the PS3 as a ‘Wireless controller’
- Select it to complete registration
Source: Reddit User Shafiggy16