So we all know that Nintendo is at the very least down with DLC on the Wii U. We saw the company release a legit expansion to New Super Mario Bros. U with New Super Luigi U. And with the company announcing some free DLC for Mario Kart 8 in the way of a Mercedes-Benz car, we have an officially opening for potential future content for the racer.
Now if Nintendo decided to offer paid DLC for Mario Kart 8, would you buy it?
Surely the first question is, “what kind of DLC?” and the natural answer would be characters and tracks. My personal view would be that if Nintendo released a either a pack of characters or a combination of characters and tracks, it could do quite well. As such, here’s my own list of characters I would love to see offered in MK8 in no particular order.
1. Wart – We do get a few large characters in Mario Kart 8, particularly Bowser and Donkey Kong and a few of Bowser’s brats, but how about some love for the antagonist of Super Mario Bros. 2? Shy Guy, a lightweight racer is in the game, so why not another character from SMB2? Wart is more or less forgotten but he was a pretty gnarly boss and it’d be cool to see him get some attention once again.
2. Mouser – Since we’re on the subject of Super Mario Bros. 2, Mouser, the dark-shade wearing mouse is tool cool for his own shoes but certainly not too cool for Mario Kart. When you think about it, you can throw bombs in the game, so wouldn’t Mouser fit right in, chucking his signature weapon?
3. Boo – Whether it’s King Boo or just a regular Boo, I’d love to see one of them hit the track. This is also another instance where we already have a track (Twisted Mansion) that would tie into the character. I mean a few of the characters have tracks that use their namesake such as Mario Circuit, Toad Harbor, Bowser’s Castle, etc., and they’re all in the game, so why not Boo? Plus King Boo was already in Mario Kart Wii so what gives? If the no one gives a crap about Boo the racer, how about at least Boo the item, which was fun to use in the old game that stole an item from another random player.
4. Boomerang Bro – His item is already in the game and while you can say that maybe there are too many Koopa Troopa variations in the game, he’d still be pretty dope as a medium sized racer.
5. Birdo – Another character from SMB2 that did get to be an unlockable character in Mario Kart Wii. Birdo was a nice alternative to Yoshi and also gives gamers another female (of sorts) to choose from.
6. Honey Bee Queen – I actually dug playing as the Honey Bee Queen in Mario Kart 3DS and I’m always down to show some love to Super Mario Galaxy. Another option for heavy drivers but this one as a female which the game lacks currently.
Other potential racers – Wiggler, R.O.B.
Surely there are other characters that I’m missing off the top of my head, but let’s hear which characters you’d like to see in Mario Kart 8, should Nintendo offer downloadable racers in the future.
I would buy character or course DLC, but you forgot the obvious choice with Diddy Kong. Diddy has been in two Mario Kart games and has been in practically every Mario sports title for over a decade. The recent Mario Golf World Tour has Boo and Diddy Kong, as well as a DLC character with Nabbit, which makes it rather odd to see Diddy Kong missing in action.
I would love to see Nabbit in the game. Diddy Kong was another big omission too, and how cool would it be to see Fawful in the game? lol
I’m missing the Dry characters. I would definitely purchase a DLC pack if it contained Dry Bones and Dry Bowser. Boo, Diddy, Birdo, and Boomerang Bro would also be fantastic editions.
Yeah I would’ve also liked to have Dry Bones and Dry Bowser. Or how about Mallow? lol
DLC packs wouldn’t be a bad idea. An Undead pack could include Dry Bones, Boo and Dry Bowser, a Jungle pack could include Diddy Kong, Funky Kong and Dixie Kong. Heck, it would even be cool to do a Final Fantasy pack, give us Black Mage, White Mage and Ninja from Mario Hoops and Mario Sports Mix.
[…] the most interesting inclusion however, is the new characters. Earlier this year, we suggested characters that should be in the roster of the game, and surprisingly none of those suggestions are being […]