Blizzard released yesterday a new patch for their latest game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Besides usually updates that are addressing some bugs that may have occurred to players in their gaming sessions, the latest one makes an important card change that will have an impact on Hunter’s strategies.
Anyone who has played this free-to-play collectible card game beyond the introductory games has undoubtedly met an Hunter opponent who has used Unleash the Hounds to great effect. The card summons a 1/1 Hound with Charge for each minion the opponent has on board and used in combination with cards like Starving Buzzard, Timber Wolf, Hunter’s Mark or Scavenging Hyena it produces devastating results.
Blizzard announced in their statement that they have acknowledged the power of a combo like this and saw that „Hunter decks have become increasingly more dominant” because of it. They also understood that players „may feel punished too much for playing minions” when they are playing against a Hunter and decided to increase the mana cost of Unleash the Hounds from to 3.
The combo remains one of the most powerful in the entire game, but instead of playing it on five turn (Starving Buzzard + Unleash The Hounds + Timber Wolf) now you will have to wait a little more. Hopefully, that should smooth out balance issues in ranked games and bring back the enjoyment of playing against a Hunter.
Rest of the changes that have been made can be read below:
- Improved friends list sorting based on player status.
- Breaking News will now properly be shown when Hearthstone is undergoing maintenance.
- Reconnect functionality has been enabled for Practice Mode.
- Games in Friendly Play now have a turn timer.
- [iPad] Deck Rename and Deck Delete is now easier to find.
- Unleash the Hounds (Hunter) now costs 3 (up from 2).
- Winning a game as Lord Jaraxxus will now properly grant credit towards unlocking the Warlock golden hero. You win… BUT YOUR WORLD IS STILL DOOMED!
- Returning an opponent’s minion to their hand will no longer occasionally leave behind a facedown card on the game board.
- Resolved issues that prevented the Fireside Friends card back from being properly unlocked under certain conditions.
- [iPad] Resolved an issue that was causing a client crash when choosing between two options of certain Druid cards.
- [iPad] Resolved an issue where new chat notification bubbles would appear behind the keyboard when in the chat window interface.
- [iPad] Adjusted the location of where enlarged versions of cards appear so that they are easier to see when selected.
- [iPad] Resolved an issue where the client may sometimes use the incorrect default language.
- Other bug fixes and UI improvements.