Hideo Kojima Talks PS4: “Can Render 1080p at 60fps With Room To Spare”; “It’s Closest to Photorealism”
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia released an interview starring Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes director, Hideo Kojima. The interview was focused around the game itself and the PS4.
Here are some of the most relevant points made by Hideo Kojima during the interview:
- You can play each mission a number of different times, there are a plenty of routes and possibilities available.
- Thanks to the PS4′s memory it’s possible to load the map in the background without the loading times that were necessary for instance in the first Metal Gear Solid when you moved from room to room.
- The voice from the iDROID is played from the built-in speaker of the DualShock 4.
- The game looks even more beautiful on the screen of the PS Vita via Remote play.
- Kojima-san’s aim with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes was to create a photorealistic game, that looked like an actual picture.
- He actually didn’t try to convey the sensation of what you see the naked eye, but he attempted to imitate something seen through the lenses of a camera, especially thanks to the real-time lighting techniques used.
- The game is displayed almost completely within a single camera shot from the opening to the ending, following the “one world” philosophy. Gameplay transitions into cutscenes dynamically and without cuts. This is very easy to explain, but it was very hard to achieve in practice.
- Kojima thinks that while everyone says that it was difficult to develop with PS1, PS2 and PS3, he actially liked that, as he liked the challenge. Now the times have changed and multi-device, multi-platform, multi generation development has become commonplace. It’s easy to port to PS4 from a PC environment, and that allows for the release of a wide variety of titles, though he wants to make games different from what others developers create. That said, He loves the PS3 and it has a special place in his heart.
- Kojima-san feels that the biggest challenge for the future is to create games with high degrees of freedom, but still being able to tell a compelling story, and that’s what Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are all about.
- Originally he felt that Metal Gear Solid V was best enjoyed as a full package, but he heard calls from people that wanted to play it earlier, and also wanted to help celebrate the opening of the new generation of hardware, and that’s why Ground Zeroes is being released by itself.
- Most importantly, he wants to convey the idea that “the future of gaming is fun.” There was a time in which games where enjoyed together with friends, but he doesn’t see that anymore now. Thanks to the PS4 and its social features, he feels that it’s possible to return to that kind of fun.
About the PS4, Hideo Kojima gave the following statement:
I think, between the home consoles available in the domestic market, the PS4 is the best. It’s also excellent for graphics, being able to render 1080p at 60fps with room to spare. Since it does it a little better than other hardware, the image quality of the PS4 is the most beautiful. It’s the closest to the photorealistic quality we are aiming at.
You can watch the full video interview below: