TitanFall revealed by Game Informer, Smartglass integration, PS4 version canceled
Update: More information have been revealed in the mean time, and it appears that TitanFall will have Smartglass integration, some level of Kinect suport, co-op mode in campaign, multiplayer and a few other modes that will be revealed soon.
Also, the developers had a hard time making this game for current-gen consoles, hence the decision to launch it only on Xbox One. PS4 was excluded due to the fact that it lacks in RAM. Despite the fact the Xbox 360 has only 5GB of RAM, while the PS4 has 8GB, the developer stated that the cloud makes up for the missing RAM. There is a possibility that they will change their mind, but for now TitanFall is an Microsoft exclusivity.
According to a neoGAF user whom registered for a Game Informer subscription via Google Play, the latest issue of the magazine has on the cover TitanFall, the game made by EA in collaboration with Respawn.
Apparently, the game will be available for Xbox One and PC. They will also launch an Xbox 360 version but it will developed by somebody else. TitanFall will be released sometime in Spring 2014. Also, you have a bunch more details below, thanks to neoGAF!
– Xbox One, PC
– Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
– Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn’t run it
– Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
– They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don’t specify if it would be this project or another.
– Plan to use Microsoft’s Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
– Spring 2014 Release Date
– There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
– First person shooter
– “Mech” and ground combat
– “Mech’s” are called Titans.
– They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
– If you don’t want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
– Player characters are called Pilots
– They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
– They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the “brain”.
– You need to be cunning as a pilot. “Hit and fade” tactics is the term the game director uses.
– Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
– There are AI enemies on the maps.
– You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
– Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
– Source gives them 60 fps
– Modified Source – “Rewriting major portions of it”.
– Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
– Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
– Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
– Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
– Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.