Various media outlets had their one-on-one interviews with Microsoft executives during next week’s Electronic Entertainment Expo cancelled with no reason given by the company.
On Monday, the Redmond, WA-based company cancelled its roundtable question-and-answer session it usually holds after its annual E3 press conference. After revealing its next-generation console the Xbox One last month, and being criticized for its confusing messaging once the press started asking questions, the company may be taking actions to maintain clarity in Los Angeles next week, where E3 is held.
Gaming websites Giant Bomb, Tapezilla, and Gameindustry.biz announced that their interviews with Microsoft executives were cancelled today, while MCV were told the company wouldn’t be holding any interviews. Microsoft’s Larry Hryb said on Twitter that the reason for the cancellations were “scheduling conflicts.” “Media will be meeting [with executives],” he wrote. Kotaku has not has its interviews cancelled, according to Reporter Jason Schreier on the NeoGAF forums.
We’ve contacted Microsoft about the cancellations, and will update this post should we hear back.
Giant Bomb’s Jeff Gerstmann wrote in a response to a user submitted question on his personal Tumblr blog, “Canning the real interviews is a bigger deal than canning the roundtables, yes.” “Makes them look weird and defensive, but I’m not really in a position to know if they’re lying about their ‘scheduling conflict’ or not.” Gerstmann wrote that in his “close to 20 years” working in the games press, he’s seen “a billion different things change and un-change in the run up to E3 every single year.”