NVIDIA has been a shining light in the world of Android based tablets, and ever since they released the Tegra 2 chip they have been pushing the boundaries of mobile gaming. Today, NVIDIA announced that the Tegra 4 chip will be hitting devices and that it will be the world’s most powerful mobile processor.
So, what can you expect from the Tegra 4 chip? Tegra 4 – previously codenamed “Project Wayne” – features
- 72 custom NVIDIA GeForce™ GPU cores – six times the GPU horsepower of Tegra 3 – for more realistic gaming experiences and higher resolution displays
- The first quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU- for 2.6x faster web browsing and breakthrough performance for apps
- Worldwide 4G LTE voice and data support through an optional chipset- the NVIDIA Icera® i500 modem processor.
- New computational photography capabilities – dramatically enhancing mobile imaging for HDR photos and video
- Superb power efficiency, with a second-generation battery saver core and PRISM 2 display technology – giving up to 14 hours of HD video playback on smartphones.
The proof is always in the pudding though, and while tablet and smartphone gaming has come a long way in terms of both overall game play and graphics, games have never looked quite so stunning. Just look at these screen shots from a device that is powered by the beast known as Tegra 4.
What are your thoughts about mobile gaming? Do you think that Tablet and smartphone gaming will explode in 2013? Let us know in the comment section below.