Defcon 0: Apple Lands a Billion Dollar Legal Nuke on Samsung
The first blood in Steve Jobs’ foretold patent nuclear armageddon has officially been drawn. In what can only be counted as a decisive victory for Apple and savage blow towards Samsung and the army of Android smartphones, the jury has awarded over $1 billion dollars to Apple. Here are the decisions:
– On the question of patents on the bounce-back technology featured in Galaxy line of smartphones immediately following the launch of the iPhone, Samsung is liable.
– On the question of pinch-and-zoom technologies, mostly based on one-and-two fingered control, the jury finds Samsung is guilty. Not all of the phones and tablets have been tagged as liable but many of them. (The damage figures could be huge.)
– On the question of tap and zoom technologies, Samsung is guilty. There are fewer devices dinged.
– Jury finds Samsung should have known that its divisions were enabling infringement actions.
– Jury finds Samsung DID NOT infringe iPad patents. That’s one on the column for Samsung.
– On the question of UI, mostly based on the iconography of the front screen of the iPhone, the jury finds Samsung guilty.
– This might be the biggest one so far: On the question of willfulness on most of the infringement of patents, the jury finds Samsung guilty as well.
– The jury ultimately upholds most of Apple’s patents. Samsung is barred by “patent exhaustion” from using patents 516 and 941. In the original instruction form Apple denied “infringed claims asserted by Samsung” and argued claims asserted by Samsung were invalid. The jury agreed.
– The jury decides against awarding Samsung any damages. Zero.
– The jury finds Samsung did not break Apple’s anti-trust exception.
DAMAGES AWARDED TO APPLE PER PHONE
Samsung Prevail: $57,000,000.00
Samsung Infused: $44,792,974.00
Samsung Replenish: $3,350,256.00…
And so on. The case is actually still in session as of this report to view the live transcript go here.
I’m sure we are going to be talking about this decision even more then we were the trial in the months ahead stay tuned…