Diablo 3 Leads May NPD Numbers
Diablo 3 reigned supreme for the May NPD numbers.
This is the first time a PC game has topped the list since it went “new physical retain only” since StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty in July 2010.
The Top 10 features plenty of other new titles as well, such as Max Payne 3 (No. 2), Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (No. 3) and Prototype 2 (No. 4).
Overall, software sales are down 16 percent from last year, bringing in $335.2 million in sales. Meanwhile, hardware sales dropped 39 percent, bringing in only $138.9 million.
In fact, only the 3DS saw a 17 percent increase in sales when compared to last year. Microsoft sold 160,000 Xbox 360s, which is “a 45 percent share of current-generation console sales” according to a Microsoft statement.
Meanwhile, Sony said that MLB 12: The Show and Starhawk “again posted strong results.”
Finally, Nintendo said it sold “more than 285,000 units of portable and console hardware” during the month.
You can see the full list below.
• Diablo III (PC)**
• Max Payne 3 (360, PS3, PC)**
• Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (360, PS3)
• Prototype 2 (360, PS3)**
• NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)**
• Sniper Elite V2 (360, PS3)
• Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)**
• Dragon’s Dogma (360, PS3)
• Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)