Tokyo Game Show Cosplay Rules
Cosplay rules? RULES?!!! THIS IS…oh nevermind. Cosplayers will have to mind some rules during the Tokyo Game Show and these are Da Rules:
The following costumes are not permitted. If any rules are found to be violated, the relevant cosplayers may be asked to stop the cosplay.
- Costumes of professionals with special responsibilities
Uniforms of policemen, firemen, SDF officials and security guards, as well as doctor’s coats, nurse’s uniforms, etc. are prohibited.
- Skimpy costumes ((Awww, but I wanted to dress as Vanille D;))
Regardless of gender, costumes with exposed breasts, waists, and other parts of the body are not permitted. When wearing a skimpy costume, wear underwear, tights, spats, etc. to avoid exposing too much skin.
- Costumes that are disturbing to others
Costumes in the form of Nazi military uniforms or those that depict terrorism, have blood or tattoos on them, etc. are disallowed. In addition, costumes that remind people of certain individuals or evoke racial discrimination are prohibited.
- Costumes that are a nuisance to others
Large size full-body suits, papier-mâché costumes, and long skirts or mantles that are dragged on the floor, etc. are not permitted.
In addition to following the above rules and regulations, cosplayers must accept full responsibility when they cosplay. The organizers and the venue do not assume responsibility or liability for any loss or damage due to the contents or elements of cosplay.
Furthermore, if complaints are received about your cosplay, we may demand that you stop cosplaying.
The following items are prohibited
- Long items, with an overall length of 50 cm or more (regardless of the material)
Umbrellas, canes, rackets, and other similar items brought in for cosplay are subject to this regulation (extendable items whose maximum length is over 50 cm are not allowed). Even if the length is less than 50 cm, do not swing such items around. The use of fresh vegetables and other food items is not allowed.
Costumes and accessories, including helmets and armors, are also subject to this regulation. Attachments, such as horns and shoulder pads with a length of 50 cm or more are not permitted.
- Arms and weapons such as guns, swords, and chains
Model guns, air guns, items with sharp edges, and swords and chains are prohibited. Pointed attachments on costumes, such as helmets and armors, are also not permitted. Imitations made of soft materials are allowed; however, such items should not be swung around or pointed at others. Be careful and pay attention to everyone around you as you move.
- Items that could inflict injury or damage on persons or property
Do not bring in roller skates, skateboards, or items that can be thrown around (such as yo-yos, balls, and disks).
- Liquor, fuels, chemicals, and noisy items
The use of combustible and highly inflammable materials and items that emit strong odors is disallowed. Drinking and smoking are not permitted at the venue. Activities that could harm other visitors owing to loud noises, such as the use of radio cassette players, loudspeakers, or musical instruments, as well as loud singing in groups are not allowed. Furthermore, it is prohibited to carry food around (including fresh vegetables) to avoid staining the facility and others’ costumes, etc.
Other items that the staff might consider dangerous will not be permitted.
Notice to cosplay participants
Use of changing room
Changing room usage fee: JPY 500 (cloak included)
- Changing is allowed in designated cosplay changing rooms only. Changing in a restroom or at another location is strictly forbidden. Use of hair sprays or color splays in the facility (including changing rooms) is also prohibited.
- Eating, drinking, resting, and photography/videography in the changing rooms are prohibited. If you find a secret camera or other suspicious objects in the changing rooms, notify the staff immediately.
- Please note that the men’s changing room may be temporarily used as a “women’s changing room” for a certain time depending on the situation.
- Your luggage can be kept in the cloakroom; however, we request you to carry all of your valuables on you at all times. The organizer does not assume any responsibility for theft or damage. All unattended items in the exhibition halls will be considered lost property.
- Please cooperate when the staff checks your costumes at the exits of the changing rooms. If your cosplay props are in violation of the rules, they may ask you to leave the props with them.
- Please be sure to adhere to the designated usage time. Changing rooms will be crowded around closing time. Please cooperate by changing in advance and be sure to go through the reception to the changing rooms by 16:00.
- Coming into or leaving the venue wearing your cosplay costume is prohibited.