Electronic Arts announced this morning that Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis has been selected to be the cover athlete for this year’s Madden NFL 12, which is set for an August 30 release.
Hillis beat Michael Vick in the final stage of voting by a wide margin of 66% to 34%, which included over 12.7 million votes, in a campaign that ran from March 21 – April 27 via ESPNSportsNation.com and via the mobile web.
“This has been a humbling experience and I want to thank all the fans in Cleveland and throughout the country that got behind me and voted each and every week,” said Peyton Hillis, running back for the Cleveland Browns and the fourth running back to appear on the cover of the Madden NFL franchise. “I’ve been playing Madden NFL for ten years, and it’s a dream to know that I’ll be on the cover of this great game. I’m looking forward to another big season with the Browns to show fans how much we appreciate them.”
EA also held a special celebration event in New York this morning to highlight some of the game’s features and for a photoshoot with Hillis.
For this year’s edition of Madden NFL, fans can expect some of these new features:
Playbooks & Gameplay
- All-New Collision System:Now maintain full control of players up to the point of impact – from tackling to blocking – providing the most authentic collisions in franchise history. This new system uses a player’s momentum and over 100 new tackle animations, including 40 gang tackles, to provide more impactful hits, stolen tackles, and consecutive hit tackling.
- Advanced Defensive AI:Over 100 defensive A.I. enhancements resulting in the smartest Madden defense ever. Players in zone and man coverage will properly recognize and react to plays, including the ability to break out of assignments when appropriate, resulting in a defensive team that truly works together.
- Custom Playbooks:The #1 most requested feature by fans in recent years, allows you to build the ultimate game plan by modifying an existing playbook or creating your own by selecting up to 400 offensive or defensive plays from 75 different playbooks. Integrate your custom playbook into a game plan for use with the improved GameFlow system, which executes an authentic, situational game plan for you.
- Broadcast Redefined:Experience NFL Sundays like never before with completely overhauled presentation, including 32 team-specific run outs featuring mascots and cheerleaders, over 500 dynamic broadcast cameras authentic to every NFL stadium, innovative “real” on-field cameras shot by expert NFL Films cameramen, and a network inspired new broadcast graphics package.
- Unprecedented On-Field Authenticity:Hundreds of visual improvements across all areas of the game including: new player equipment, helmet stickers, pylon and ball physics, a player degradation system that affects uniforms and helmets based on weather and field surface, 3D grass, and new player specific animations that showcase the personalities of each NFL player.
Franchise and Superstar Modes
- Franchise mode includes more than 100 new features and enhancements, including expanded rosters, an all-new rookie scouting system, a free-agent bidding system, and more.
- In Superstar mode, fans can now control the growth of their superstar with an all-new progression system that allows you to earn skill points by participating in practice and games. More details on Franchise and Superstar modes will be released on May 16.
Dynamic Player Performance
- Dynamic Player Performance is an all-new feature that creates unprecedented realism as a player’s skills and confidence will rise and fall based on his performance throughout a game or in Franchise mode, just like the real NFL. No two players will play the same in Madden NFL 12, and more details will be revealed at the E3 Expo on June 6.
Madden NFL Ultimate Team
- The perfect combination of Madden NFL Football, fantasy football, and trading cards comes to life in Madden NFL Ultimate Team. More information on how to earn, buy, auction, and trade players will be released on June 20.
- Online Communities will provide an all-new way for Madden NFL gamers to meet and play. More details will be released on July 25.